[Extracted from A brief history of Ely and neighbouring villages in the Isle' by J.H. Clements 1868]
"STRETHAM, a parish in the hundred of South Witchford. This parish, four miles W. of Ely, and twelve N.E.E. from Cambridge, contains a population of about 1,200 souls. Ethelwold, Bishop of Winchester, purchased the manor of Stretham, and presented it to the monks of Ely ; it was afterwards annexed to the see of Ely, from which it was alienated to the Crown by Bishop Heton in 1600. It has since passed through the hands of several families. The church is dedicated to St. James. The living is a rectory, with the curacy of Thetford, in the deancry of Ely, rated in the K. B. at £22., and now worth about 800. nett. The Bishop of Ely is patron, and the Rev. H. H. Baber, about 90 years of age, incumbent."
"THETFORD is a hamlet, in the parish of Stretham, about three miles from Ely. It contains 1,600 acres, and has a population of about 250 souls. The amount of assessed property is £1433. The manor of Thetford was alienated from the see of Ely by Bishop Heton, in 1600, and is supposed to have been granted to Sir Roger Thornton, in whom it appears to have been afterwards vested. From the Thorntons it passed to the families of Sandys and Child. About 1770, John Drage, Esq., successfully prosecuted his claim to this manor in a suit of law It is now the property of Mrs. G. S. Hall of Ely."