GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

STUNTNEY

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"STUNTNEY is a chapelry, 1½ miles south-east from Ely station on the Cambridge, Ely and King's Lynn section of the London and North Eastern railway, and ecclesiastical parish, formed from the civil parish of Holy Trinity, Ely, in the union, hundred, petty sessional division, county court district and rural deanery of Ely, archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely.

On the death of Sir Thomas Steward, in 1636, the manor and estate of Stuntney passed into the possession of his nephew Oliver Cromwell, who spent much of his time here before he was returned to Parliament in 1640 as M.P. for Cambridge. W. J Evans esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and the trustees of the late Cole Ambrose esq. The population in 1921 was 385."

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Manors

Military History

Names (Geographical)

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014