"SUTTON, a parish in the hundred of South Witchford, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 6 miles south-west of Ely, its post town, and 1½ mile from Mepal. It is the terminus of the Ely and Sutton branch of the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is extensive, is situated on an eminence, and had anciently a market and fair. Saxon coins, and other relics of antiquity, were discovered here in 1634. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £1,200, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains a double piscina, stone font, &c. It was built by Bishop Barnet, who died in 1373. The register dates from 1700. There is a free school supported by the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The Wesleyans and Baptists have chapels."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
The Census Records from 1851, 1871-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives, the original records for 1861 were lost at source. In addition the 1851 Census for Sutton is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
"The church of St. Andrew, erected about 1370, is a soacious building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and south porch of Norman date and a fine Perpendicular tower with 15 pinnacles and a connical spire and containing a clock and 6 bells : the entire fabric was restored in 1869, at a cost of £4,000, and affords 592 sittings : a fine stained east window was erected by his wife, family and friends to the memory of the Rev. the Hon. C. F. O. Spencer, for 33 years vicar of this prish, who died 1895: there is also another, erected in memory of his eldest daughter, by the family in 1901 : a new organ was provided in 1912, at a cost of £400. The register commences about 1558." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Sutton, St Andrew's: Records of baptisms 1763-1812, marriages 1758-1837 and burials 1788-1930 (earlier entries are in the Castor registers) reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1800-1884 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1750-1948; 1798 is on microfilm at Huntingdon Record Office.