Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"SUTTON, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of WITCHFORD, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Ely, containing 1157 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Mepal united, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely, rated iathe king's books at £10, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ely. Thfe church, dedicated to St. Andrew, was built by Barnel: Bishop of Ely, who died in 1373; it is a beautiful specimen of the decorated style of English architecture' There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyaii Methodists. This place had anciently a market and & fair, granted to the first abbot of Ely. A charity school is supported by the Dean and Chapter, the master of which receives a salary of £20 per annum. In 1634, some labourers discovered, near this place, sei veral ancient coins and gold rings, and three silver plates, one of which had a curious inscription engraven upon it."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]