[Extracted from A brief history of Ely and neighbouring villages in the Isle' by J.H. Clements 1868]
"SUTTON, a parish in the hundred of South Witchford. This parish extends over an area of 7,850 acres; its population is nearly 2,000; amount or assessed property, £10,362. The dean and chapter of Ely are large proprietors. Many valuable ancient coins, large gold rings, and other antiquities have, at various times, been turned up by the plough in this parish. Sutton is an interesting village, situate six miles west from Ely, and commands, from its eminence, an extensive view of the surrounding country. It had anciently a market on Thursdays, granted in 1312, to the prior of Ely, together with a fair for 15 days on the feast of St. Lambert. The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a beautiful lofty gothic structure, built about 1370, in the time of Bishop Barnet. The Iiving was formerly consolidated with the rectory of Mepal, but is at present an independent vicarage in the deanery of Ely, rated in the Liber Regis at £10., and now returned at £2,000. nett per annum. The dean and chapter of Ely the patrons. This valuable living was formerly given by the late Bishop Sparke, to his son in law, the Rev. Henry Fardell (the bishop was a very affectionate parent, and was never suspected of neglecting the interests of his family). At the death of Mr. Henry Fardell the living fell into the bands of his brother, Dr. Fardell, and at his death, it was given to the present incumbent, the hon. and rev. C. Spencer, son in law of the late Henry Fardell. Thus Sutton has been blessed with the Fardells, and the Fardells have been blessed with Sutton!"