"SUTTON, a parish in the hundred of South Witchford, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 6 miles south-west of Ely, its post town, and 1½ mile from Mepal. It is the terminus of the Ely and Sutton branch of the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is extensive, is situated on an eminence, and had anciently a market and fair. Saxon coins, and other relics of antiquity, were discovered here in 1634. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £1,200, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains a double piscina, stone font, &c. It was built by Bishop Barnet, who died in 1373. The register dates from 1700. There is a free school supported by the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The Wesleyans and Baptists have chapels."