Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"SWAFFHAM BULBECK, a parish in the hundred of Stain, county Cambridge, 6 miles south-west of Newmarket, its post town, and the same distance from Six-Mile-Bottom railway station. The village is situated on Swaffham Lode, a navigable cut from the river Cam. In the vicinity are the remains of a Benedictine nunnery, founded by one of the Bolebecks in the reign of John, and valued at the Dissolution at £46 18s. 10d. A quarry of chalk marl is extensively worked. Tho living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £219, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a tower and six bells. The register commences about 1560. The parochial charities produce about £184, of which sum £20 go to Towers' school. There are National schools for both sexes."
"SIX MILE BOTTOM, is a hamlet in the parishes of Little Wilbraham, Bottisham, Brinkley, Carlton cum Willingham, Swaffham Bulbeck, Westley Waterless, and Weston Colville. It has a station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway. There is a congregational chapel, erected in 1881, with 80 sittings, and a reading room and library. There is also a recreation ground, pleasantly situated near the railway station and enclosed by a double row of trees : a cross of rough granite was erected in 1924 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. Swyntord Paddocks is the residence of Capt. Malcolm Bollock M.B.E., M.P.
See also Six Mile Bottom main page."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The Monumental Inscriptions for the churchyard of St. Mary 1703-1900 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. These are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- "A cemetery of one acre, formed in 1886 at a cost of £200, is under the control of the Parish Council."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice, chiefly in the Late Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, two porches and a western tower containing 6 fine-toned bells: the clerestory is Perpendicular and the tower Early English: the church is coated with old open benches which bear traces of handsome carving there is a piscina in the wall of the south aisle, and a cedar chest of the 15th century with fine carvings of the Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Crucifixion, and the Resurrection : the chancel was restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1876-7, at a cost of £848; and during the period 1884-91, the roofs of the tower and aisles and portions of the interior were restored, a new organ erected, the south aisle reseated and a new pulpit and other fittings provided, at a total cost of over £356; in 1896 the interior was renovated by John Ashton Fielden esq. J.P. at a total cost of over £500: there are 458 sittings, of which 317 are free. The register dates from the year 1558." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Swaffham Bulbeck, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1558-1945, marriages 1558-1953, burials 1599-1900, 1919-68, banns for 1754-1875, 1886-93 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts of baptisms 1558-1945, marriages 1558-1953, burials 1599-1887 and burials in the cemetery 1886-1982 are also available in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The parish register transcripts for the years 1558-1982 are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1857 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Primitive Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives for the Cambridge Primitive Circuit of which Swaffham Bulbeck is part.
- "There was anciently a Benedictine nunnery, founded in 1190 by Halewyse de Granville or one of the Bulbecs; at the Dissolution there were eight nuns, and revenues estimated at £40. Hare Park is now (1929) unoccupied. Mrs. Fison is lady of the Mitchell Hall manor, and Miss Wood is lady of Burgh Hall manors." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
You can see pictures of Swaffham Bulbeck which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL554623 (Lat/Lon: 52.236921, 0.274368), Swaffham Bulbeck which are provided by:
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1747-63, 1789-1837, 1880-93 and 1911-48.