[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"SWAFFHAM-PRIOR, a parish in the hundred of STAINE, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Newmarket, containing 979 inhabitants. The living consists of the consolidated vicarages of St. Cyriac and St. Mary, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, the former rated in the king's books at £16. 18. l1., and the latter at £14. 12. 11., and in the alternate patronage of the Bishop, and the Dean and Chapter,'of Ely. Here were formerly two churches in the same cemetery that of St. Mary has fallen to ruin, except the tower, which, from the peculiarity of its situation, still forms an interesting object. The church dedicated to St. Cyriac has been lately rebuilt. The parish, which includes part of Newmarket heath, is hounded on the north by the Cam, and several navigable drains, or lodes, communicating with that river, pass through it. A market and fair, anciently granted to the prior of Ely, have been long disused. There are two endowed schools, one of which is conducted upon the National plan."