[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"SWAVESEY, a parish in the hundred of PAPWORTH, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (E. S. E.) from St. Ives, containing 1029 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £7. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, anciently belonged to an Alien priory of Black monks, founded here, soon after the Conquest, as a cell to the abbey of St.Sergius and St. Bachus, and that of St. Briocus, at Angiers; at the suppression it was given by Richard II. to the priory of St. Anne, Coventry, and some slight remains of the monastic buildings are still visible. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A market and fair were granted, in 1243, to the family of Zouch, the site of whose ancient castle is about half a mile south-west from the church."