"SWAVESEY is a large parish and village, with a station on the Cambridge and Huntingdon branch of the Great Eastern railway, 69 miles from London, 11½ north-west from Cambridge, 3 south-east from St. Ives and 9 south-east from Huntingdon, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Papworth, petty sessional division of Cambridge, union of St. Ives, county court district of Huntingdon, rural deanery of North Stowe and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
A market and fair were held here formerly, but have long been obsolete. The Benedictine priory once existing here was f ounded by Alan de Zouche in the time of William 1 as a cell to the monastery of St. Sergius, at Angers, and dedicated to St Andrew. The Priory, the residence of George Long esq. J.P. is supposed to stand on or near the site. Mr. John Osborne Daintree is lord of the manors of Swavesey, with the members, Hobbledodds with Bennets and the Rectory manor. Mr. John Dodson Daintree, Capt Arthur Vipan, of Stibbington Hall, Lincs, Trinity College, Cambridge, Mr. William Carter Cole, George Long esq. Christopher Parsons and W. W. Warner are the principal landowners. The soil is mostly clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 3,968 acres of land and 14 of water; rateable value, £6,163; the population in 1891 was 1,069."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]