Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"TEVERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Fiendish, county Cambridge, 3½ miles east of Cambridge, its post town. The village is situated on the Cambridge and Newmarket road, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £352, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, or to All Saints, is an ancient edifice with a tower and bell. The register dates from 1593. The charities consist of the rent of lands bequeathed by Lady Joan Jermy, which now produce about £35 per annum,"
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- All Saints Church, Teversham.
- "The church of All Saints is historically noteworthy as having been given in 991 by Brithnoth, ealdorman of Essex, who fell at the battle of Maldon, A.D. 991: the present building, some portions of which date from 1270, is of stone chiefly in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: the piscina and sedilia richly carved, are perpendicular, and there is a rood screen of oak, with Perpendicular tracery a low side window and four curious oval-shaped clerestory windows: the nave arcades are very good examples of Early English work, and have foliaged caps, the piers being octagonal: in the south aisle is an altar tomb, with mutilated recumbent alabaster effigies, to Sir Edward Styward kt. and his wife, restored in 1863: two archbishops of Canterbury, John Whitgift (1530-1604) and Richard Bancroft (1544-1610), were formerly rectors here: the church was restored in 1888-91 at a cost of £550, and renovated in 1912 at a cost of £200, and affords 130 sittings. The register dates from the year 1593."
- "A Baptist chapel was built here in 1858. There is an obelisk of Portland stone hearing the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Teversham, All Saints: Records of baptisms 1593-2002, marriages 1593-1989, burials 1593-2001 and banns for 1754-1812 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for the years baptisms 1592-1840, marriages 1595-1838 and burials 1592-1838. The parish register transcripts, 1592-1840, are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1651, 1665-1857 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Teversham which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL496582 (Lat/Lon: 52.201693, 0.187685), Teversham which are provided by:
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1757-63, 1789-1837, 1880-92 and 1911-48.