"THRIPLOW, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Cambridge, 6 miles north-east of Royston, its post town, and 3 west of Whittlesford railway station. The village is near Thriplow Heath, a rendezvous of the parliamentary army commanded by Cromwell and Fairfax in July, 1647. The soil is of a sandy nature, with a subsoil of gravel, and chalk. An Enclosure Act was passed in 1840. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £129, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower and five bells. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There are British and Church schools. The Independents have a chapel."