Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"TRUMPINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Triplow, county Cambridge, 2 miles south of Cambridge, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the river Cam, near the Cambridge railway. The soil is loamy and gravelly. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £241, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, or to SS. Mary and Michael, contains a monumental brass of Sir Roger de Trumpington as a crusader, cross-legged in chain armour, bearing date 1289, also an eight-sided font and several stained-glass windows. The register dates from the middle of the 16th century. There is a National school for both sexes. Several Roman vases, urns, and paterÃ¦ have been discovered at Dam Hill. The principal residences are Anstrey Hall and Trumpington Hall, in the latter of which Anstrey, who wrote the poetical "Bath Guide " was born in 1724."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- "A cross of Portland stone was erected on the "Cross Hill," in 1921, as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18; their names are inscribed on the shaft." [Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929] The Monumental Inscriptions for SS. Mary and Michael churchyard, 1577-1987, are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- A team from the Trumpington Local History Group (TLHG) has transcribed the census records for the civil parish of Trumpington from 1841 to 1911 inclusive. These are now freely available as pdf files on their website. They would appreciate any
'); document.write('feedback to the society by email <\/a>.'); -->
please turn on Java Script (scripting) to get the email address. and would also appreciate links to their website.
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Trumpington is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of SS. Mary and Michael is a fine building of stone in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, north and south chapels, north porch and a lofty embattled western tower containing 6 bells : the chancel, which dates from about 1280, has some fine stained glass of that period, and retains a piscina; and there are others in the north and south chapels on an altar tomb, under a Decorated canopy, within the eastern arch of the north chapel, is the famous brass, 7 feet long, of Sir Roger de Trumpeton, ob. 1289, well known as being the second earliest brass in the kingdom; that of Sir John D'Aubernon, at Stoke D'Abernon, in Surrey, dated 1277, only preceding it: the effigy here is in chain mail, covered with a cyclas, and is cross-legged the left arm bears a shield with the arms of Trumpington, viz. 'az. crusily and two trumpets in pale, or;' this is the earliest known mailed figure with ailettes, the prototypes of the modern epaulettes, and the same arms are repeated on these and on the scabbard; fragments of the old stained glass are collected together in the east window and in one of the north windows: in the churchyard is a tablet to Professor Fawcett, postmaster-general, M.P., LL.D., D.C.L. economist and statesman, who died at Cambridge, 6 Nov. 1884, and was buried here: there is also a memorial window to him on the south side of the chancel; and there are others to Col. F. J. Pemberton, d. 1849; Lieut.-Col. Pemberton Campbell, d. 1876; to the Rev. Spenser Mansell, a former vicar, and his wife, and a tablet to Capt. Francis Percy Campbell Pemberton, 2nd Life Guards, killed in Flanders Oct. 19, 1914: the church was restored in 1876 at a cost of £2,960, and affords 350 sittings. The register of baptisms, marriages and burials dates from the year 1671: there is also an ancient chest containing documents from the middle of the 17th century."
- "There is a Free chapel in the village, erected in 1899."
[Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
- Church of England
- Trumpington, SS. Mary and Michael: The registers are at the church from 1671. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1641, 1662-1862 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1600-1875, marriages 1599-1642, 1663-1740, 1741-1875 and burials 1601-1875, photocopies of marriages 1875-1922, burials 1875-1920 plus ctranscripts of baptisms 1769, 1771, 1790, 1813-76, marriages 1769, 1771, 1790, 1813-37 and burials 1769, 1771, 1790, 1813-66.
- "Trumpington feast is held here on the 29th of June annually. Trumpington Hall, the seat of the Pemberton family since 1675, the property of Mrs. Pemberton and the residence of W. W. Pemberton esq. M.D., B.Ch., J.P. and Mrs. Pemberton, is a noble mansion of brick approached by an avenue of lofty trees, and standing in a park of 24 acres. Anstey Hall, an ancient mansion of brick, standing in a well-wooded park of 15 acres, is how occupied by George Ralph Cunliffe Foster esq. M.F.H., J.P.; there are also several well-built villa residences." [Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
You can see pictures of Trumpington which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL446544 (Lat/Lon: 52.168885, 0.112955), Trumpington which are provided by:
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1946-1948.