Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"TRUMPINGTON, a parish in the hundred of THRIPLOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 2 miles (S.) from Cambridge, containing 540 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary and St. Michael. William Austin, in 1679, gave ten acres of land, now producing £ 14 per annum, for teaching four poor children. There are still some remains of the mill, celebrated by Chaucer, in his Reeve's Tale. At Dam Hill, near the river Cam, which runs through the parish, several beautiful vases and paterae, urns, human bones, and other relics of antiquity, have been discovered. Anstey, author of the poetical " Bath Guide," was born here, in 1724."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]