"TYDD ST. GILES, a parish in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 5 miles north-west of Wisbech, its post town, and 6 from St. Mary Sutton. The preparation of woad for dyeing is carried on. The construction of the Bedford Level canal, which is 100 feet wide and 30 feet deep, has greatly improved the quality of the land. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £653, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. The parochial charities produce about £80 per annum. There is an endowed school, and the Independents have a chapel."
"FOUL ANCHOR, a hamlet in the parish of Tydd St. Giles, the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 1½ miles east north east of Tydd St. Giles. There is here a ferry across the river Nene."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Giles is an edifice of the 12th century, in the Norman and Early English styles, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north porch and a detached embattled tower containing 6 bells; the nave aracades have five Norman bays and one of later date; the piers are circular, and the capitals varied, some being Norman and others Early English: the chancel arch is a drop arch on shafts with Early English capitals: there are several niches: the south aisle and clerestory windows are Perpendicular and the east window is stained the west doorway exhibits an ogee arch, with three niches over it, and there is a fine Decorated window, with buttresses and crocketed canopies, supposed to be the work of Alan de Walsingham, architect of the lantern of Ely cathedral: the tower stands many yards away from the south-east angle of the chancel: its two lower stages seem to be Early English, its upper stage Perpendicular: the church underwent thorough restoration in the year 1869, at a cost of £2,400, and an organ was built in 1883, at a cost of £270: there are 547 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559."
"There are two Primitive Methodist chapels." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Tydd St. Giles, St. Giles: Records of baptisms 1687-1984, marriages 1687-1948, burials 1687-1941 and banns for 1823-1983 reside in the Wisbech Museum. Transcripts exist for baptisms, marriages and burials 1559-1659 at the Wisbech Museum. Indexed transcripts of marriages 1559-1837, photocopies of baptisms 1768-1842, burials 1768-71, 1800-38 plus microfilm copies of baptisms 1689-1984, marriages 1689-1987, burials 1689-1941 and banns 1754-1804, 1823-1983 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1649, 1662-1860 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798m (on microfilm), 1799-1803, 1935-48.