GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

TYDD ST. GILES

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"TYDD ST. GILES, a parish in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 5 miles north-west of Wisbech, its post town, and 6 from St. Mary Sutton. The preparation of woad for dyeing is carried on. The construction of the Bedford Level canal, which is 100 feet wide and 30 feet deep, has greatly improved the quality of the land. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £653, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. The parochial charities produce about £80 per annum. There is an endowed school, and the Independents have a chapel."

"FOUL ANCHOR, a hamlet in the parish of Tydd St. Giles, the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 1½ miles east north east of Tydd St. Giles. There is here a ferry across the river Nene."

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

Names (Geographical)

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014