"UPWELL, a parish, partly in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, and partly in that of Clackclose, county Norfolk, 6½ miles south-east of Wisbech, its post town, and 95 from London. The village, which is extensive, was formerly a market town, and in 1861 had a population of 4,783. It is intersected by the river Nene, the houses extending along its banks nearly to Outwell and Welney. The parish includes the chapelry of Welney, which lies in the cultivated fens of the Great Bedford level. In this part of the parish was a Gilbertine priory, founded in the reign of King John as a cell to the priory of Sempringham, and which at the Dissolution was valued at £13 6s. Id. There was another small religious house at Mirmound, founded in the reign of Richard I. The land has been greatly improved within the present century, and flax grounds are abundant. In 1826 a suspension bridge was erected over the Hundred hoot river. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Welney annexed, in the diocese of Norwich, value £3,058. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. It contains two brasses of priests, bearing date from 1435, several monuments, an east window, and carved pulpit. The church stands in the county of Norfolk. The parochial charities produce about £346 per annum, which go towards the repair of the church, the support of the poor, &c. There are a free school for both sexes, and chapels for the Wesleyans, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists. 0. W. Townsend is lord of the manor and principal landowner. A plea-fair is held on 30th June."
"WELNEY, a chapelry in the parish of Upwell, partly in the hundred of Clackclose, county Norfolk, and partly in that of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 10 miles south-west of Downham-Market. It is situated in the Bedford Level, on the river Welney."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
Upwell: Records of baptisms c. 1655 - c.1668, 1704-1902, marriages 1704-1903, burials 1704-1862, banns for 1754-1821 reside in the Wisbech Museum. Transcripts of baptisms c. 1653-69, marriages c. 1653-66, burials c. 1653-69, 1702 and indexed transcripts of baptisms 1704-1818 also reside at the Wisbech Museum. Microfilm copies of baptisms 1704-1902, marriages 1704-1883, burials 1704-1902 also exist. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1691-1837 can be found in the Norfolk Record Office.
Welney: St. Mary Records of baptisms 1642-1958, marriages 1654-1993, burials 1653-1949 and banns for 1754-1969 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.
Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives for the Chatteris Wesleyan Circuit of which Upwell (Cambs.) is part.
Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives for the Wisbech Wesleyan Circuit of which Upwell (Cambs.) is part.
Primitive Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives for the Manea Primitive Circuit of which Upwell (Cambs.) is part.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Upwell which are provided by:
CHRISTCHURCH is an ecclesiastical parish is the Isle of Ely and rural deanery of March.... is an ecclesiastical parish is the Isle of Ely and rural deanery of March....
EXMOOR (or Euismoor, or Euximoor) is 3 miles north; LAKE'S END is 3½ miles east; TIP'S END , 3 miles south. LADDUS and SUSAN'S (or Shrewsness) GREEN lie to the south-west. [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Jurisdiction in Outwell, Upwell and Welney, which were partly in Norfolk.
Records are at the Norfolk record Office. Wills, 1543-1858, administrations, 1541-1618, 1670-1857, inventories, 1728-74. Published index to wills, 1543-1602 (Norfolk Family History Society, vols. 3, 5, 10).
Consistory Court of Norwich
Records are at the Norfolk Record Office. Wills 1370-1857, administrations, 1370-1499, 1549-1640, 1666-1857, inventories, 1584-1846. Published index to wills, 1370-1857 (Norfolk Record Society, vols. 16, 21, 34, 38, 47).
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the Cambridgeshire portion for the years 1935-1948 and the Huntingdon Record Office has 1798-99 (on microfilm). The Norfolk portion for the years 1767, 1783-1832 reside in the Norfolk Record Office