[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"UPWELL, a parish partly in the hundred of WISBEACH, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, and partly to the hundred of CLACKCLOSE, county of NORFOLK, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Wisbeach, containing, with the chapelry of Welney, 3782 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at £16. R. G. Townley, Esq. was patron in 1812. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, with the greater part of the parish, is in Norfolk. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The village is intersected by the river Nene, by which the productions of the large garden-grounds here are conveyed to the markets of the various towns situated upon its banks. In that part of the parish Which is in Cambridgeshire are the sites of two ancient religious houses, one of which, at Mirmound, was a small priory of Gilbertines, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, a cell to the priory of Sempringham in Lincolnshire, and valued at the dissolution at £13. 6. 1. per annum."
"WELNEY, a chapelry in the parish of UPWELL, partly in the hundred of WISBEACH, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, and partly in the hundred of CLACKCLOSE, county of NORFOLK, 8 miles (E. S. E.) from March, containing 706 inhabitants. Roman coins have been found here in urns, &c. turned up by the plough."