[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"UPWELL, formerly a market town, is an extensive parish, and a large village, 6½ miles south-east from Wisbech station, partly in the hundred of Wisbech and in the Isle of Ely, a large portion being also in the hundred of Clackclose, county of Norfolk, union, petty sessional division, county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely. The parish is on either side of the river Nene, which separates the counties of Cambridge and Norfolk, and the Norfolk portion is given in Kelly's Directory of that county. By an Order which came into operation March 25, 1884, detached parts of this parish were amalgamated with Welney, in Downham union. A steam tramway runs from the village to the London and North Eastern railwav station at Wisbech for con-veying merchandise. The mother church of Upwell St. Peter stands in Norfolk, and the rectory was separated from that of Welney by 9 and 10 Vict. c. 7 (1846).
The soil is loamy, in many parts highly fertile, and the subsoil clay. The crops are wheat, potatoes, peas, beans, oats and mustard; a considerable portion of land is devoted to fruit culture. The area of the Cambridgeshire portion of the parish is 7,609 acres of land and 66 of water; the population in 1921 was 1,583 ; the population of Christchurch ecclesiastical parish was 836.
In 1990 the Cambridgeshire part of Upwell village was transferred to Norfolk, and the remainder of the parish was renamed Christchurch: see also under Christchurch"
"WELNEY, was formerly partly in this county and partly in the county of Norfolk, but by an Order which came into operation September, 1895, is now wholly included in the latter county."