[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WATERBEACH, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 5 miles
north-east of Cambridge, its post town, and 9 south-west of Ely. It is a station on the
Great Eastern railway. The village is situated near the Ely road and the
river Cam. At a farm in this parish are remains of the abbot's house,
refectory, &c., of Denny Abbey, founded in 1160 as a cell to the monastery
of Ely, but in the following century occupied by the Knights Templars. A
nunnery was subsequently founded by Dionysia de Mountchense, which in 1338
was connected with the house of the St. Clares at Dinney. There are some
extensive market gardens. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely,
value £424, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St.
John the Evangelist, is of the 13th century. The interior contains a double
piscina, antique font, &c. The register dates from 1653. The parochial
charities produce upwards of £250 per annum, including almshouses for 6
poor widows, &c. There is an endowed free school for both sexes. The
Wesleyans, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists have chapels."
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"DENNY ABBEY, a hamlet in the parish of Waterbeach, in the county of
Cambridge, 7 miles north-north-east of Cambridge. It is situated on the Ely railway.
A nunnery was founded here by. Mary de Valence (foundress of Pembroke
Hall), temp. Edward III., on the site of the Benedictine cell given by the
Knights Templars; the remains of the chapel are now a barn. At the
Dissolution there were in Denny Abbey twenty-five nuns, whose revenue was
valued at £218 0s. ld.
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- "A Cemetery of one acre was formed in 1879, at a cost of about £300, and is now under
the control of the Parish Council. "
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. John the Evangelist is an edifice of the 13th century, in the
Early English style with Perpendicular insertions, and consists of chancel, clerestoried
nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5
bells: the windows of the clerestory and aisles are Perpendicular: the chancel is
enriched with an alabaster and mosaic reredos: the beautiful font of marble and Caen
stone and a very elaborate brass lectern were presented by friends of the late vicar:
the chancel, nave and aisles have been restored, and the church enlarged and reseated
with carved oak benches, and in 1878 a stained window was placed in the belfry: in
the nave floor is a stone inscribed to William Stane M.D. and Fellow of the College
of Physicians in London, d. 11 Feb. 1679: the pulpit was erected in 1879, as a memorial
to the Rev. William Keatinge Clay B.D. vicar here 1854-67; it is of Caen stone and
alabaster, inlaid with representations in mosaic of the Sermon on the Mount and the
preaching of St. Paul, and is further adorned with statuettes of St. John the Baptist
and the Prophet Elijah: the church was restored in 1878, at a cost of £3,500, and
affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1653."
- "The mission church of St. Andrew, at the extreme end of the parish, and 3½
miles from the parish church, was erected in 1883, at a cost of about £800, mainly
contributed by Mrs. Horne, and is a building of stone, consisting of chancel and
nave: it affords 60 sittings. Here is a Baptist chapel, of which the late Rev. C.
H. Spurgeon was for some years minister and one at Chittering. There are also Wesleyan
and Primitive Methodist chapels and a Salvation Army hall."
- "Two miles north-west are the remains of the ancient abbey of Denny (Daneia), originally
built in 1160 by Robert, chamberlain to the Duke of Bretagne, as a cell of Ely, and
dedicated to SS. James and Leonard, but refounded in 1342 by Agnes, Countess of Pembroke,
for nuns of the order of St. Clare: the refectory and the greater part of the church,
of Norman and Decorated work, remains."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Church of England
- Waterbeach, St. John the Evangelist:
The original registers still reside at the church. Records exist on microfilm for
baptisms 1653-1957, marriages 1653-1857, burials 1653-77, 1759-1895 and banns for
1653-77, 1759-1895, 1939, 1959-82 and reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed
transcripts exist for marriages 1599-1642, 1653-1837. The Bishop's Transcripts for
the years 1599-1691, 1702-1866 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Methodist Church
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, 1880-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 18.25 on Sunday, 11 November 2012, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]