Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Wendy Cum Shingay
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"WENDY-CUM-SHINGAY is a parish near the river Rhea, about 5½ miles north from Royston station on the Hitchin, Royston and Cambridge section of the London and North Eastern railway, and 4½ from Old North Road on the Cambridge and Bletchley branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, in the hundred of Armingford, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Shingay and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The parish is well supplied with pure water from artesian wells. The church is dedicated to All Saints, but was previously known as St. Mary.
The chief crops are wheat, barley arid hearts. The area is 1,023 acres; the population in 1921 was 88 in the civil parish and 128 in the ecclesiastical parish.
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of All Saints, rebuilt in 1865 at a cost of £1,200, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and a western belfry containing one bell: the roof of the nave, of open woodwork, was removed here from the old church of All Saints, Cambridge: there is a memorial window to Charlotte Elizabeth, wife of the Rev. George Washington Edwards Philips, a former vicar: on the south-east wall of the nave is a tablet of white marble and alabaster, bearing the names of the parishioners who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the interior was decorated gratuitously in 1882 by Mr. J. Leach, of Cambridge, and affords 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1550."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Wendy-Cum-Shingay, All Saints: Records of baptisms 1551-1670, 1683-1991, marriages 1550-1671, 1683-1911, burials 1550-1645, 1680-1990, banns for 1755-1806.1836-1866 reside in the Cambridge Record Office. Indexed transcripts exist for baptisms 1551-1812, marriages 1550-1845 and burials 1550-1812 as well as photocopies of burials 1814-1991. The parish register transcripts, 1550-1845, are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1687 and 1711-1857 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Wendy cum Shingay which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL314473 (Lat/Lon: 52.108385, -0.082679), Wendy cum Shingay which are provided by:
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm and 1810-1948.