[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"WENDY-CUM-SHINGAY is a parish near the river Rhea, about 5½ miles north from Royston station
on the Hitchin, Royston and Cambridge section of the London and North Eastern railway,
and 4½ from Old North Road on the Cambridge and Bletchley branch of the London,
Midland and Scottish railway, in the hundred of Armingford, petty sessional division
of Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery
of Shingay and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The parish is well supplied with
pure water from artesian wells. The church is dedicated to All Saints, but was
previously known as St. Mary.
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
The chief crops are wheat, barley arid hearts. The area is 1,023 acres; the population
in 1921 was 88 in the civil parish and 128 in the ecclesiastical parish.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of All Saints, rebuilt in 1865 at a cost of £1,200, is an edifice of
stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and a western
belfry containing one bell: the roof of the nave, of open woodwork, was removed here
from the old church of All Saints, Cambridge: there is a memorial window to Charlotte
Elizabeth, wife of the Rev. George Washington Edwards Philips, a former vicar: on
the south-east wall of the nave is a tablet of white marble and alabaster, bearing
the names of the parishioners who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the interior was
decorated gratuitously in 1882 by Mr. J. Leach, of Cambridge, and affords 120 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1550."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Wendy-Cum-Shingay, All Saints:
Records of baptisms 1551-1670, 1683-1991, marriages 1550-1671, 1683-1911, burials
1550-1645, 1680-1990, banns for 1755-1806.1836-1866 reside in the Cambridge Record
Office. Indexed transcripts exist for baptisms 1551-1812, marriages 1550-1845 and
burials 1550-1812 as well as photocopies of burials 1814-1991. The parish register
transcripts, 1550-1845, are available on microfiche from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1687 and 1711-1857 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm and 1810-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015