Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"WENTWORTH, (or Wingford), a parish in the hundred of South Witchford, and Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-west of Ely. The village is situated on the road to St. Ives. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £300, in the patronage of the dean, who is rector of the parish. The register dates from 1700. There is a school supported by the dean.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- St. Peter's Church, Wentworth.
- "The church of St. Peter is an edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave south porch and a small embattled western tower containing one bell : the chancel retains a double piscina and a stone figure of pre-Norman carving, reputed to be that of St. Peter, and there are doorways of Norman date : the church was restored in 1868, and affords 130 sittings. The register commences from the year 1790." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Wentworth, St Peter's: Records of baptisms 1684-1812, marriages 1686-1836 burials 1685-1812 and banns 1754-1826 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts of baptisms 1600-1812, marriages 1600-1836, burials 1606-1812 plus photocopies of baptisms 1813-40 and burials 1814-1991 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1600-49 and 1662-1878 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.The parish register transcripts for Wenworth St. Peter are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- Methodist Church
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Wentworth which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL479783 (Lat/Lon: 52.382729, 0.171645), Wentworth which are provided by:
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1750-1948; 1798 is on microfilm at Huntingdon Record Office.