Geographical and Historical information from the year 1851.
[Transcribed mainly from Robert Gardner's History, Gazeteer & Directory of Cambridgeshire 1851]
"WEST WRATTING, a parish in the hundred of Radfield. The boundaries of this parish are formed by Weston-Colville and Carleton on the north and east, and by Balsham on the south an south-west. It contains 3,441 acres; the amount of assessed property is £4,394.; and the population in 1801 was 541; in 1831, 763; and in 1841, 912 souls. The soil in this parish is excellent and the principal proprietors are the Dean and Chapter of Ely; Edward Frost, Esq.; Jesus and Peter-house colleges, Cambridge; Mrs Frere; the Corporation of the sons of the clergy, Sir Charles Wager Watson, bart.; the Rev. John H. Watson, M.A., and Wm. Purkis, Esq.
The Village of West Wratting which is situated on low ground, about 5 miles N. from Linton, and nine S. from Newmarket, contains some good houses."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Robert Gardner's History, Gazeteer & Directory of Cambridgeshire 1851]