[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WESTON COLVILLE, a parish in the hundred of Radfield, county Cambridge, 6
miles north-east of Linton, and 5 south-west of the Sixmile Bottom station on the
Cambridge and Newmarket line. The living is a rectory in the diocese of
Ely, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a brass of a
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"SIX MILE BOTTOM, is a hamlet in the parishes of Little Wilbraham, Bottisham,
Brinkley, Carlton cum Willingham, Swaffham Bulbeck, Westley Waterless, and Weston Colville.
It has a station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway.
There is a congregational chapel, erected in 1881, with 80 sittings, and a reading
room and library. There is also a recreation ground, pleasantly situated near the
railway station and enclosed by a double row of trees : a cross of rough granite
was erected in 1924 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great
War, 1914-18. Swyntord Paddocks is the residence of Capt. Malcolm Bollock M.B.E.,
Six Mile Bottom main page."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- St. Mary's Church, Weston Colville.
- "The Church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, consists of a nave, chancel, south
porch, north chapel, and square western tower. Over the porch, in a niche, is a figure
of the Blessed Virgin and Infant Saviour; and the side chapel is the burial-place
of the Hall family. The living is a rectory in the deanery of Camps, rated in the
King's books at £ 21. 13s. 6-1/2d., but now returned at £200 nett per annum. John
Hall, Esq. is the patron, and the Rev. Wm. Acton, M.A., incumbent. At the enclosure
of the parish, pursuant to an act of parliament passed in 1777, land was allotted
in lieu of tithes.
- The Rectory-House, a genteel residence, stands a little N.E. of the church.
- Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel erected in 1847, and in connexion with which is a
Sunday school well attended."
[History, Gazeteer & Directory of Cambridgeshire, Peterborough, Robert Gardner, 1851, pp.241-242]
- Church of England
- Weston Colville, Blessed Virgin:
Records of baptisms 1712-2003, marriages 1712-1979, burials 1712-1992, and banns
1755-1812, 1820-1892, 1903-2003 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's
Transcripts for the years 1599-1849 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1599-1851,
marriages 1602-1900 and burials 1599-1851. The parish record transcripts for the
Blessed Virgin 1599-1851 are available on microfiche from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1759-63 and 1673-1857.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015