"WHADDON, a parish in the hundred of Armingford, county Cambridge, 4 miles north of Royston, and 2 west of Meldreth railway station. The surface is generally level, and the river Cam flows through part of the lands. The village is situated on the Great North road. The advowson was appropriated to the collegiate church of Windsor in 1351, having previously belonged to the priory of Lewes. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £110, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, who are appropriators. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Lord Hardwick is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Mary the Virgin, entirely rebuilt in the 14th century, is an edifice of stone and flint, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 3 bells; the church retains an old oak screen and the ceiling is also of carved oak; on the chancel floor are several armorial slabs inscribed to Thomas Tempest, 1649; Elizabeth Pickering, 1694 Henry Pickering, 1705 ; and Grace Pickering, 1732; in the north aisle is a brass, bearing the names of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: a fine organ built by Snetzler, and enlarged by Walker of London, was presented to the church in 1857 by John Felix Beaumont esg.; the church was restored in 1869 at a cost of £2,300, and again in 1873 at a further cost of £500, and in 1894 the tower was restored and the upper part of it rebuilt at a cost of upwards of £500: the church affords 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1692."
"The Wesleyan Methodists have chapel here." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Whaddon, St. Mary the Virgin: The parish registers for baptisms 1693-1883, marriages 1692-1713, 1746-1988, burials 1691-1995 and banns 1754-1812, 1824-1964 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts of baptisms 1599-1851, marriages 1599-1851 and burials 1599-1812 (plus photocopies of burials 1813-1902) are available in the Cambridgeshire Archives.. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1674, 1686 and 1712-1860 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. The parish records 1599-1851 are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
"There are 104 acres of land and rectorial tithes, belonging to the Dean and Canons of Windsor as impropriators. The manor was held from the time of the Norman Conquest by the Descheters family and their relatives, the Tempests, from whom it was purchased in 1648 by Henry Pickering esq. created a baronet in 1661; this family held it till 1716, when it was again sold by Dame Grace, widow of Sir Henry Pickering, 2nd bart. to Edward Lord Harley, afterwards and Earl of Oxford, of whom it was purchased by Philip (Yorke) 1st Earl of Hardwicke and lord chancellor, and thence came to his descendants, and later to Viscount Clifden, from whom it passed to the Cambridgeshire County Council. The County Council, the Dean and Chapter of Windsor, Christ's College, Cambridge, and Frederick Smith esq. are the chief landowners." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm) and 1810-1948.