[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WHITTLESEY, comprising the parishes of St. Andrew and St. Mary. It is an
ancient market town in the north division of
Witchford hundred, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge,
6 miles south-east of Peterborough, in Northamptonshire, and 20 north-west of Ely. It
is a station on the Peterborough, March, and Ely branch of the Great
Eastern railway. This place, called Witesie in Domesday survey, is supposed
to have been a Roman station, from the traces of a military way and the
numerous relics of antiquity discovered in the neighbourhood, including a
massive gold ring lately dug up. It consists of the two ancient parishes of
St. Andrew and St. Mary, which have been united for civil purposes by
special Act of Parliament of the 12th and 13th Victoria, though
ecclesiastically still distinct. They consist of an extensive tract of
fenny land, comprising 25,430 acres, and include the hamlets of Coates,
Eastrea, and Pond's Bridge.
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
The lake or mere of Whittle, from which the
place derives its name, was situated in the adjoining county of Huntingdon,
and measured 2 miles in length by 1 mile broad, but is now entirely drained
by the Middle Level Commissioners. The town, which is paved and lighted
with gas, contains a townhall erected by the governors of the charities,
the old market house, two branch banks, a library with news-room, two
reading-rooms, and union workhouse. It has recently been much improved, and
is bounded on the north and south by two branches of the Nene river. It is a
polling place for the county elections, and has a market for corn recently
revived. The population of the town in 1861 was 4,496, and of the parishes
6,966. It forms a separate Poor-law Union, but is included in the county
court district of Peterborough. Courts leet and baron are held twice a
year. The livings of both parishes are vicarages* in the diocese of Ely,
that of St. Andrew value £550, and that of St. Mary £230, with residences.
The register dates from 1683. Coates and Pond's Bridge are distinct
parishes. The Wesleyans, New Connexion Methodists, Independents, and
General and Particular Baptists have chapels. There are two handsome
National schools. - The local charities produce about £520 per annum,
including the revenues from town lands. Friday is market day. The town and
neighbourhood are most salubrious, all traces of fen peculiarities of
climate having disappeared by the system of drainage."
"EASTREA, a village in the parish of Whittlesey, county Cambridge, 2 miles
east of Whittlesea. There is
a station hereon the Peterborough and Ely branch of the Great Eastern
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- "The Cemetery, formed in 1859, is about a quarter of a mile from the town, on the
Coates road, and covers an area of four acres; it contains two mortuary chapels and
is now under the control of a joint burial committee of the Whittlesey Urban and
Rural District Councils.
The churches and chapels were wholly closed to inter-ments and the graveyards (with
modifications) by Order in Council, March 25, 1873."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
The burial ground 1859-63 is recorded in the Cambridge Records Office.
- "The General Baptist chapel in Windmill street has 300 sittings; the Particular Baptist
chapel in Gracious street, 350; the Congregational chapel in Broad street, 350; the
Methodist New Connexion in Church street, 150; Primitive Methodist in Woolpack lane,
200; the Wesleyan in Queen street, 300; and the Free Methodist at King's Dyke, 100."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Baptist Church
- Baptist Church:
Records exist for births 1810-37 on microfilm at the Cambridgeshire Archives.
- Independent Church
- Independent Church:
Records exist for baptisms 1814-37 on microfilm at the Cambridgeshire Archives.
- United Reformed Church
- United Reformed Church, Broad Street :
Records exist for marriages 1976-88 at the Cambridgeshire Archives.
- Methodist Church
- "The Town Hall in Almshouse street, erected in 1857, is a plain structure of brick;
magisterial and other meetings are held here, and the building also serves as a fire
- The Public Hall, in Station road, erected in 1880 by a Limited Company, at a cost
of £1,500, is a building of white brick with stone dressings, and will seat 600 persons;
it is licensed for theatrical and other performances.
- The Market House in the Market place, a large open square, is a small but ancient
edifice, with a tiled roof supported on stone pillars.
- The market is held on Friday, and a fair for horses and cattle June 13. Courts leet
and baron are held twice a year; the fines in the manor are certain.
- The Conservative Association and the Constitutional Club occupy premises in Almshouse
street, comprising a news room and committee rooms; there is also a Social Club for
gentlemen, with billiard and reading rooms, at the Public Hall; there are 40 members.
- The brick-making industry here has considerably increased during the past few years,
and the four yard employ a large percentage of the labouring population of the town.
The bricks are made by the semi-dry process; there are also some excellent beds of
- The Trustees of the Town Lands Charity manage lands formerly devised to relieve the
inhabitants of these parishes from the tax anciently laid in the Isle of Ely for
the repairs of Aldreth causeway: but under an Order of the Charity Commissioners,
dated April 29th, 1898, one quarter of the proceeds is devoted to ecclesiastical
purposes and the remainder to educational and other charitable purposes.
- There are several charities, founded by Messrs. Kelfull, Dow, Randall and NobIe:
that of Mr. Kelfull includes a provision for educating 15 boys; and that of Mr. Sudbury
for the commercial education of five boys and the apprenticing of others; the whole
of the above charities, with the exception of Sudbury's, have been amalgamated under
a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, framed in the year 1868; the net income of
the united charities now (1900) amounts to about £80, and Sudbury's to about £69
- The soil of the whole parish is chiefly a black loam, with a subsoil of clay and
gravel; the land is fertile, and the chief crops are wheat, peas and potatoes, with
a great portion of rich pasture; potatoes are grown extensively for the London market.
- Whittlesey Mere, named from this place, but 6 miles distant and in Huntingdonshire,
has been drained by the Middle Level Commissioners, and an area of 1,500 acres brought
- Traces of a Roman road are found at Eldernell, where several antiquities have been
dug up, including a massive gold ring."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- The old Whittlesey Straw Bear Festival has been revived and details can be found
Straw Bear site.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798-1803, 1798-99 (on microfilm).
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 18.25 on Sunday, 11 November 2012, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]