Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"WHITTLESFORD, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Cambridge, 6 miles north-west of Linton, and 7 south-east of Cambridge. It is a station on the Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway. The village, once a market town, is situated at the bridge over the river Cam. There are some traces of an hospital founded by Sir William Colville about the time of Edward I. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £170, in the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to SS. Mary and Andrew. The local charities produce about £160 per annum, including £60, the endowment of Westley's school."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The Monumental Inscriptions for the churchyard of SS Mary and Andrew are recorded for the years 1717-1867. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list. The cemetery is also recorded for the years 1874-1984. Both sets of records can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives.
- The Church of St. Mary & St. Andrew, Whittlesford.
- "The church of SS Mary and Andrew is a structure of flint of the 11th century, with additions of the 12th, 13th and 14th centuries, and consists of chancel with chantry on the south side, nave, south aisle, south porch of oak (1350) and an embattled central tower containing 6 bells: the tower was restored and the bells rehung in 1905 at a cost of £1,600: the font is Norman, and there are some ancient carved oak screens: on the north side of the tower is a turret, which gives access to the belfry, and formerly also to the rood loft: the chancel retains a small piscina and sedilia in three divisions, formed by the continuation downwards of the mullions of the south-east window: the south chantry or chapel, which opens into the chancel by two Perpendicular arches, has also a small piscina: in 1912 the chancel was restored, at a cost of £592, and an east window and a reredos were erected: the nave arcade is Early English : on the eastern battlements of the tower are two shields of arms of Beauchamp and Scalers: a memorial table was placed in 1904 to the Rev. James Robertson M.A. vicar here 1891-1904: during the years 1875-82 a sum of £650 was spent in restoring and embellishing the interior; in the course of the work the remains of a very beautiful alabaster reredos were discovered in the chancel wall: in 1906 a new organ was provided, at a cost of about £300: in 1908 the aisle roof was renewed and the walls of the church restored, at a cost of £520: the nave was thoroughly restored in 1922: there are 280 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559."
- "The Congregational chapel, erected in 1903, at a cost of £1,400 is an edifice of red brick with a turret."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Whittlesford, SS Mary and Andrew: Records of baptisms 1559-1888, marriages 1559-1969, burials 1559-1878 and banns for 1754-1971 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for baptisms 1559-1852, marriages 1559-1837, and burials 1559-1878.The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1863 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Records exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1873-1950 and marriages 1930-67.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Whittlesford which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL473482 (Lat/Lon: 52.112469, 0.149721), Whittlesford which are provided by:
- In the centre of the village is a cross of Portland stone, erected in 1919 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there is also a village institute on the Duxford road, erected as a war memorial in 1921.
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1759-63, 1789-1948.