Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"WHITTLESFORD is a parish and village, near the river Cam, with a station 1 mile south-east from the village on the London and Cambridge section of the London and North Eastern railway, 45 miles by road from London, 7 west from Linton and 7 south from Cambridge, in the hundred of its name, union end petty sessional division of Linton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The various charities amount to £105 yearly, which sum is distributed to the poor chiefly in coals and money. Joseph Avery Tickell esq. who is lord of the manor, Albert Jennings seq. and the Cambridge County Council are the principal landowners. The soil is gravelly; subsoil, chalk. The crops are wheat, barley, oats and peas. The area is 1,969 acres of land and 7 of water; the population in 1921 was 980."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]