"WICKEN, a parish in the hundred of Staploe, county Cambridge, 7 miles south-east of Ely, 8 north-west of Newmarket, and 3 south of Soham. The village and parish are situated in a fenny district, intersected by the Buckingham canal. The manor belonged to the Gernons, from whom it came to the Peytons in the reign of Edward III., and subsequently to Henry, son of the Protector Cromwell, who died at Spinney Abbey. This mansion, now in ruins, occupied the site of a small priory founded by Sir Hugh de Malebisse in the time of Henry III. for Augustine Canons. An Act was passed in 1840 for enclosing the waste lands. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £90. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, contains a brass of Margaret Peyton, bearing date 1414, and the vault of the Cromwell family, in which the Protector's wife Elizabeth and his son Henry lie interred. The register dates from 1564. There are National schools, partially endowed, also an almshouse for widows. Coins and other antiquities have been found here."