Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"WILBURTON, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of WITCHFORD, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6 miles (S. W.) from Ely, containing 465 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £500 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Ely. The church is a handsome structure, dedicated to St. Peter. .There is a place of worship for Baptists. The parsonagehouse was anciently the seat of the Archdeacons of Ely, at which Henry VII. and his son, Prince Henry, were entertained for several days, when that sovereign came to visit the shrine of St. Ethelreda at Ely."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]