Geographical and Historical information from the year 1900.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]
"WILLINGHAM (or Wyvelingham) is a parish and large village, a mile and a quarter north from Long Stanton station on the St. Ives and Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway, 10 miles north-west from Cambridge and 6¼ east from St. Ives, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Papworth, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of North Stowe and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The soil varies, but is very fertile; subsoil, mostly blue clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley, potatoes, garden produce and fruit, especially gooseberries. The area is 4,648 acres of land and 11 of water; rateable value £7,562; the population in 1891 was 1,629.
By Local Government Board Order No. 15,898 (March 24, 1884), a part of Willingham parish known as Hollowmass was added to Rampton."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]