Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
[Transcribed information from Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer of England - 1750]
(unless otherwise stated)
"WIMPLE-HALL, (Cambridgeshire) 5 m. from Royston, and S. W. from Cambridge, was built, at a vast expence, in a very dirty country, by the late Earl of Radnor, and afterwards bought by the late D. of Newcastle, in a partition of whose vast estate, it fell to the late Earl of Oxford, who married his only daughter; but his Lp. sold it a little before his death to the present Ld. chancellor Hardwick. The Earl of Oxford, in digging canals here, found many bodies, and rusty pieces of iron, supposed to be the remains of some battle."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2011]