"WIMPOLE, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, county Cambridge, 5½ miles south-east of Caxton. Wimpole Hall, the family seat of the Hardwickes, contains a collection of historical paintings and portraits by the first masters, and in the chapel is a carved ivory crucifixion and "Temple of the Sibyls" in mosaic. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £400. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, was rebuilt by Lord Chancellor Hardwicke in 1749. It contains various effigies and monuments to the Hardwicke and Chicheley families, some rich stained glass, two brasses, the earliest bearing date 1501, and an hexagonal font. The charities produce about £21 per annum. There is a school supported by the Earl of Hardwicke, who is lord of the manor and principal landowner.