WISBECH ST. AUGUSTINE
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WISBECH ST. AUGUSTINE is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1869 from the civil parishes
of St. Peter Wisbech and Leverington."
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- St. Augustine's Church, Wisbech.
- "The church, erected in 1868-9, and opened in May, 1869, at a cost of about £4,000,
is a structure of brick, with stone dressings, in the Early English style consisting
of clerestoried nave, aisles and bellicot containing one bell: the reredos, erected
in 1878 is of stone the panels being filled in with glass mosaic displaying a central
cross with the figures of three angels on either side, bearing on shields the instruments
of the Passion: the stained east window, placed 7 Dec. 1883, is a memorial: the west
window was filled with stained glass in 1922, in memory of the men of this parish
who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are several other stained windows: the
church affords 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1870. The living is
a vicarage, net yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely,
and held since 1926 by the Rev. Arthur John William Crosse C.B.E., B.A. of the London
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Wisbech St. Augustine:
Records of baptisms 1870-1977, marriages 1870-1972 and banns 1960-1977 reside in
the WIsbech Museum.
[Last updated 21 December 1999 Martin Edwards]
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014