|Wisbech St Mary
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"WISBECH ST. MARY is a parish, with a station on the Peterborouqh and Lynn section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, 3 miles south-west of Wisbech. in the Wisbech hundred, union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely. The civil parish includes the ecclesiastical districts of Guyhirn and Murrow (which will be found under separate headings), and the hamlets of Thorney Toll and Tholomas Drove, and a portion of Wisbech Fen.
The charities include 61 acres left A.D. 1593 by Mr. Benn, and 8 acres added by the Commissioners of the Bedford Level (temp. Charles II.), comprising, with other lands, 75 acres, the rents of which, about £240 yearly are given to the poor; 21 acres of land left in 1726 by Francis Hardy for the endowment of a school for the parishioners; £50 left in 1605 by John Bend, the interest to be given - two-thirds to this parish and one-third to Parson Drove; in 1833-4 25a. 3r. 26p. Of land were allotted by the Enclosure Commissioners, to be let in small lots to the poor of this parish at nominal rentals: fifteen cottages have been erected for the use of poor labourers, who pay 1s. each yearly for them. The rentals of lands let to the poor are applied to the poor relief fund. The charities enumerated are enjoyable by the whole of the parishioners of Wisbech St. Mary. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are fruit, wheat, oats, peas, potatoes and root crops. The area is 10,164 acres of land, 23 of inland and 44 of tidal water and 12 of foreshore; the population in 1921 was 2,609 in the civil and 1,166 in the ecclesiastical parish."