"WITCHAM, a parish in the hundred of South Witchford, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 5,½ miles west of Ely, and 2 from Sutton. The village is situated on a height about three quarters of a mile from the high road from Ely to Chatteris. The parish includes Wolvey Hill and Holes. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £100, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, has an east window, stone pulpit, octagonal font, and double piscina. The register dates from 1663. There is a chapel for Wesleyans."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Martin erected in the 13th century, is a structure of brick in the Early English style, consisting of chancel (restored 1915), nave, south porch and embattled western tower, restored in 1912, and containing one bell : there is a Norman font with curious carved figures, a carved stone pulpit and an oak screen: the nave was thoroughly restored in 1897, new roofed and reseated in oak : the chancel was restored in 1923 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners : there are 220 sittings. The register dates from the year 1663." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Witcham, St Martin's: The original registers from 1663 are still at the church. Records of baptisms, marriages and burials for the years 1663-1875 exist on microfilm and reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, copies of marriages and burials 1837-76 also exist on microfilm at Huntingdon record Office. Indexed transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1599-1648, 1662-1900 and in Huntingdon Record Office for marriages for the years 1599-1648, 1662-1811. The indexed transcripts of the registers are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list.
The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-48 and 1662-1854 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Witcham is a medieval village mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086. Earthworks to the east of Witcham House along Bury Road indicate the extent of the medieval settlement in that direction. The remains of platforms on which houses stood, a droveway in which sheep and cattle were herded, the village pond, and ridge and furrow fields can all still be seen.
You can see pictures of Witcham which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1750-1948; 1798 is on microfilm at Huntingdon Record Office.