Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
[Extracted from A brief history of Ely and neighbouring villages in the Isle' by J.H. Clements 1868]
"WITCHAM, a parish in the hundred of South Witchford. This parish, lying between Witchford and Mepal, contains 2,800 acres ; population about 520. The vicarage is in the gift of the dean and chapter of Ely, and held by the Rev. R. W. Packer. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for rent charges: rectorial, £595.; vicarial £116., besides which there are 19 acres of globe land. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from A brief history of Ely and neighbouring villages in the Isle' by J.H. Clements 1868]