Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"WOODDITTON, (or Ditchton Wood), a parish in the hundred of Cheveley, in the county of Cambridge, 3 miles south of Newmarket. An old trench, called the evil's Ditch, passes through the parish. It includes the hamlet of Little Ditton. The living is a vicarage consolidated with the rectory of St. Mary, Newmarket. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The tithes were commuted under an Enclosure Act in 1813. The charities produce about £3 per annum.
"SAXON STREET is a considerable hamlet in the parish of Woodditton, about 1 miles east from the Woodditton church. The church here, a plain structure of red brick, was erected in 1877 by Lady Adeliza Manners (d 1904) as a memorial to her husband, Lord George John Manners, of Cheveley Park, d. Sept 8,1874 divine service is held here every Sunday afternoon by the vicar of Woodditton. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel, rebuilt in 1884. Kelly's Cambridgeshire 1929"
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- "The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of flint in the Early English style, with Perpendicular additions, and consists of chancel, clerestoried and embattled nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower, which has been restored, and contains 5 bells: the church was restored and reseated in 1897-99 by the late Col. H. L. B. McCalmont M.P. at a cost of £5,000 and affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1567." [Kelly's Directory- Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Wood Ditton, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1567-1966, marriages 1567-1971, burials 1567-1929 and banns for 1755-1812, 1845-1934 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for these records for the years 1567-1812. The parish register transcripts, 1567-1812, are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 16569-1641 and 1663-1836 can be found in the the Suffolk Record Office, microfilm copies being held at the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1569-1641, 1663-99.
- Saxon Street, Holy Trinity: A register of baptisms only is held at the church for from 1937.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Woodditton which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL657591 (Lat/Lon: 52.205176, 0.423501), Woodditton which are provided by:
- Two courts cover Wood Ditton as follows:
- Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury: Jurisidiction in various parishes including Ashley cum Silverley which were in the diocese of Norwich until they were transferred to the diocese of Ely in 1837.
- Records are held at the Suffolk Record Office covering Wills, 1439-1857, administrations, 1544-46, 1568-93, 1605-12, 1630-1858, inventories, 1573-76, 1617, 1625, 1640, 1650-1747. Index to wills to 1535 are published in Proceedings of Suffolk Institute of Archaeology, volume 12 and of all records to 1700 in the Index Library of the British Records Society, volumes 95 and 96.
- Consistory Court of Norwich: Records are held at the Norfolk Record Office. Wills 1370-1857, administrations, 1370-1499, 1549-1640, 1666-1857, inventories, 1584-1846. There is an index to wills covering 1370-1857 published by the Norfolk Record Society, volumes 16, 21, 34, 38 and 47.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1710, 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, 1878-88 and 1931-48.