Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"WOOD DITTON is a parish and village, 3½ miles south from Newmarket station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and Yorth Eastern railway, in the hundred of Cheveley, Newmarket union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Cheveley, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. In pursuance of the Cambridgeshire and West Suffolk (Newmarket) Confirmation Order, 1895, that part of Wood Ditton parish in Suffolk was added to Newmarket All Saints for civil purposes, but remains administratively in West Suffolk.
There is a Congregational chapel here. The Earl of Ellesmere M.V.O. Sir Alec Black bart. J.P. Sidney Taylor esq. and the Jockey Club are the principal landowners. The soil is various; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 4,768 acres; the population in 1921, chiefly distributed in the hamlets of Ditton of Green, Little Ditton and Saxon Street, was 848, and in the ecclesiastical parish, 777.
By an Order in Council, gazetted August 15th, 1911, part of Wood Ditton ecclesiastical parish, containing at the date of census a population of 462, was transferred to All Saints, Newmarket, ecclesiastical parish."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]