[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WOODDITTON, (or Ditchton Wood), a parish in the hundred of Cheveley, in the
county of Cambridge, 3 miles south of Newmarket. An old trench, called the
evil's Ditch, passes through the parish. It includes the hamlet of Little
Ditton. The living is a vicarage consolidated with the rectory of St. Mary,
Newmarket. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The tithes were commuted
under an Enclosure Act in 1813. The charities produce about £3 per annum.
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"SAXON STREET is a considerable hamlet in the parish of Woodditton,
about 1 miles east from the Woodditton
church. The church here, a plain structure of red brick, was erected in 1877 by Lady
Adeliza Manners (d 1904) as a memorial to her husband, Lord George John Manners,
of Cheveley Park, d. Sept 8,1874 divine service is held here every Sunday afternoon
by the vicar of Woodditton. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel, rebuilt
in 1884. Kelly's Cambridgeshire 1929"
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of flint in the Early English style,
with Perpendicular additions, and consists of chancel, clerestoried and embattled
nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower, which has been restored, and contains
5 bells: the church was restored and reseated in 1897-99 by the late Col. H. L. B.
McCalmont M.P. at a cost of £5,000 and affords 250 sittings. The register dates from
the year 1567."
[Kelly's Directory- Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Wood Ditton, St. Mary:
Records of baptisms 1567-1966, marriages 1567-1971, burials 1567-1929 and banns
for 1755-1812, 1845-1934 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts
exist for these records for the years 1567-1812. The parish register transcripts,
1567-1812, are available on microfiche from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 16569-1641 and
1663-1836 can be found in the the Suffolk Record Office, microfilm copies being held at the Cambridgeshire Archives
for the years 1569-1641, 1663-99.
- Saxon Street, Holy Trinity:
A register of baptisms only is held at the church for from 1937.
- Two courts cover Wood Ditton as follows:
- Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury:
Jurisidiction in various parishes including Ashley cum Silverley which were in the
diocese of Norwich until they were transferred to the diocese of Ely in 1837.
- Records are held at the
Suffolk Record Office covering Wills, 1439-1857, administrations, 1544-46, 1568-93, 1605-12, 1630-1858,
inventories, 1573-76, 1617, 1625, 1640, 1650-1747. Index to wills to 1535 are published in
Proceedings of Suffolk Institute of Archaeology,
volume 12 and of all records to 1700 in the Index Library of the British Records
Society, volumes 95 and 96.
- Consistory Court of Norwich:
Records are held at the Norfolk Record Office. Wills 1370-1857, administrations,
1370-1499, 1549-1640, 1666-1857, inventories, 1584-1846. There is an index to wills
covering 1370-1857 published by the Norfolk Record Society, volumes 16, 21, 34, 38
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1710, 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, 1878-88
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 14.29 on Wednesday, 02 October 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]