BOWDON: St. Mary (Church of England)

Church Brow

Church History

An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Altrincham, Ashley, Bowdon, Carrington, Dunham Massey, Hale, Partington and Timperley, and parts of the townships of Agden, Ashton upon Mersey, Baguley, and Bollington.

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1852 — reduced when the townships of Timperley and Baguley were transferred to Timperley: Christ Church.
  • 1855 April 11 — reduced when parts of the townships of Dunham Massey and Altrincham were transferred to Dunham Massey: St. Margaret.
  • 1860 August 28 — reduced when parts of the townships of Altrincham, Dunham Massey, and Timperley were transferred to Altrincham: St. George.
  • 1863 September 15 — reduced when part of the township of Hale was transferred to Ringway: St. Mary & All Saints.
  • 1867 November 5 — reduced when parts of the townships of Hale and Altrincham were transferred to Altrincham: St. John the Evangelist.
  • 1869 August 10 — reduced when the constituent parts of the towships of Agden and Bollington were transferred to Bollington: Holy Trinity.
  • 1873 January 17 — reduced when the remaining part of the township of Dunham Massey was transferred to Dunham Town: St. Mark.
  • 1881 March 4 — reduced when the township of Ashley and parts of the townships of Bowdon and Hale were transferred to Ashley: St. Elizabeth.
  • 1885 March 10 — reduced when the township of Partington was transferred to Partington: St. Mary the Virgin.
  • 1887 September 27 — reduced when the township of Carrington was transferred to Carrington: St. George.
  • 1893 August 26 — reduced when the constituent part of township of Ashton upon Mersey was transferred to Ashton upon Mersey: St. Martin.
  • 1906 July 31 — reduced when part of the township of Hale was transferred to Hale: St. Peter.

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original Registers C from 1628 ; M from 1628 ; B from 1628
Microfilm Copies C 1628-1964 ; M 1628-1887 ; B 1628-1973 — Cheshire Record Office
C 1628-1841 ; M 1628-1844 ; B 1628-1841 — Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Trafford Local Studies ; Family History Society of Cheshire
Bishop's Transcripts 1600, 1606-07, 1610, 1614, 1618, 1621-22, 1626-29, 1631-33, 1635-37, 1640, 1660, 1663, 1666, 1668-76, 1678-85, 1689-92, 1694-1702, 1704-37,1739-1843, 1845-1914 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office
1600, 1606-07, 1610, 1614, 1618, 1621-22, 1626-29, 1631-33, 1635-37, 1640, 1660, 1663, 1666, 1668-76, 1678-85, 1689-92, 1694-1702, 1704-37,1739-1821 (microfilmed) — Family History Society of Cheshire ; Trafford Local Studies
Copies and Indexes CB 1628-1812 ; M 1628-1828 (index) — Church
CMB 1760-1800 (transcript by J. Hardman) — Cheshire Record Office ; Trafford Local Studies
C 1738-1812 ; B 1738-1908 — published by  North Cheshire Family History Society
M 1600-1664, 1800-1837 — North & East Cheshire Marriage Index - may be viewable at subscription sites such as ancestry or findmypast
M 1628-1699 (transcript by C. D. Rogers) — Cheshire Record Office
M 1658-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-1960 — Cheshire BMD (TR:CE5)
B 1628-2000 — National Burial Index
B 1738-1769 (register of burials in woollen) — Church ; Cheshire Record Office (microfilmed)
Notes C 1799-1812 ; B 1800-1812 — includes entries at Altrincham: St. George
C 1892-1906 — includes entries at Hale: St. Peter

  Explanatory Notes Index of Churches