Built in 1827 as a chapel to Great Budworth: St. Mary & All Saints. In 1834 it became the district church for the townships of Stretton and Appleton (previously served by Great Budworth: St. Mary & All Saints). The boundaries of "The Stretton District" were described in the London Gazette on 15 July 1834:
"The boundary to commence at Bradley-brook, and proceeding by the boundary of Higher Whitley to the point marked L.; and crossing the Warrington road to the point K.; thence to the north by Whitley-road to the point Q.; and turning to the north east to the point R. ; where it falls in with the boundary of Crowley ; and continues from thence to the north as far as the point S.; thence to the north west to the point T. ; whence it continues by the boundary of Grappenall as far as the point U.; thence by an irregular boundary till it joins the River Mersey, near Mildenpool, and takes a south west direction to the point V. ; and turning to the south east to the point H. ; and from thence to Bradley-brook, where the boundary commenced"
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts