TARVIN: St. Andrew (Church of England)

Church Street
Click for photo of church

Church History

An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Ashton, Bruen Stapleford, Burton by Tarvin, Clotton Hoofield, Duddon, Foulk Stapleford, Hockenhull, Horton cum Peel, Kelsall, Mouldsworth, and Tarvin.

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1849 — reduced when the townships of Ashton, Horton cum Peel and Mouldsworth were transferred to Ashton Hayes: St. John the Evangelist.
  • 1878 May 21 — reduced when the township of Foulk Stapleford was transferred to Hargrave: St. Peter.
  • 1956 August 14 — reduced when the township of Kelsall was transferred to Kelsall: St. Philip.
  • 1964 September 25 — enlarged to include the extra-parochial place of Prior's Heys.

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1563-1926 ; M 1564-1999 ; B 1563-1993 — Cheshire Record Office (P 9)
C from 1926 ; M from 1999 ; B from 1993 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1563-1926 ; M 1564-1950 ; B 1563-1951 — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies
Bishop's Transcripts1584, 1601, 1603-06, 1608-12, 1614, 1616, 1619, 1622-25, 1629-33, 1635, 1637-38, 1640-41, 1663, 1666-68, 1670-77, 1679-85, 1690-91, 1695,1697-1877, 1879-99 (microfilmed) ; 1900-07 — Cheshire Record Office
Copies and IndexesCMB 1563-1688 (transcript by M. H. Ridgway) — Cheshire Record Office
M 1563-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-1958 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE43)
B 1813-1899 — National Burial Index
B 1813-1899 — published by the Family History Society of Cheshire
Monumental InscriptionsPublished by the Family History Society of Cheshire, 1974
Transcript by A. J. Bland, 1997 — Cheshire Record Office

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches