ASTBURY: St. Mary (Church of England)

Peel Lane

Church History

An ancient parish church, originally serving Buglawton, Congleton, Davenport, Eaton, Hulme Walfield, Moreton cum Alcumlow, Newbold Astbury, Odd Rode, Radnor, Smallwood, Somerford and Somerford Booths.

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

The parish also includes the private chapel of Somerford: All Saints.

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original Registers C from 1572 ; M from 1572 ; B from 1573 — Church
Microfilm Copies C 1572-1953 ; M 1572-1969 ; B 1572-1970 — Cheshire Record Office ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Congleton Library
Bishop's Transcripts 1593, 1596, 1600, 1604, 1607-09, 1611-15, 1617-23, 1626-27, 1629-31, 1633, 1635-37, 1639, 1657-59, 1661-62, 1664-76, 1679-80, 1682-85, 1693-97, 1702-1898 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office
1889-1898 (microfilmed) — Family History Society of Cheshire
Copies and Indexes CMB 1572-1641 (transcript, 3 vols.) — Cheshire Record Office ; Congleton Library
C 1750-1815 (microfilmed transcript) — Society of Genealogists' Library
M 1703-1755, 1800-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1754-1837 — North & East Cheshire Marriage Index - may be viewable at subscription sites such as ancestry or findmypast
M 1837-1993 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1007)
Monumental Inscriptions Published by the Family History Society of Cheshire (Congleton Group), 1990

  Explanatory Notes Index of Churches