CARRINGTON: St. George (Church of England)

Church History

Built in 1759 as a chapelry in the parish of Bowdon: St. Mary, serving the townships of Carrington and Partington. In 1887 it became the district church for the township of Carrington (previously served by Bowdon: St. Mary). The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Saint George Carrington" were described in the London Gazette on 27 September 1887:

"All that part of the said parish of Bowdon which is comprised within and is co-extensive with the limits of the township and chapelry of Carrington aforesaid"

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1885 March 10 — reduced when the township of Partington was transferred to Partington: St. Mary the Virgin.
  • 1925 April 14 — reduced when the area north of the Manchester Ship Canal was transferred to Cadishead: St. Mary (in the diocese of Manchester and county of Lancashire).

The church closed in 1990, but the churchyard remains open for burials.

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1759-1989 ; M 1884-1989 ; B 1760-1894 — Cheshire Record Office (P 271)
B 1894-1989 — held at Partington: St. Mary the Virgin
Microfilm CopiesC 1759-1889 ; B 1760-1894 — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire
Bishop's Transcripts1876-1895 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office
Copies and IndexesCB 1773-1840 — copied in the registers of Bowdon: St. Mary
M 1844-1959 — Cheshire BMD (TR:CE7)
Monumental InscriptionsPublished by North Cheshire Family History Society, 1977

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches