CHESTER: St. Martin (Church of England)

St. Martin's Ash.

Church History

An ancient parish church, serving part of the city of Chester.

On 27 April 1842 the district was united with that of Chester: St. Bridget to form the combined district of "St. Bridget with St. Martin", which in January 1973 itself became part of a unified district for the city of Chester.

St. Martin's closed in 1963.

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1671-1963 ; M 1681-1842 ; B 1681-1842 — Cheshire Record Office (P 16)
Microfilm CopiesC 1671-1963 ; M 1681-1842 ; B 1681-1842 — Cheshire Record Office ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Family History Society of Cheshire
Bishop's Transcripts1600-01, 1602(?), 1611-12, 1614, 1617, 1622, 1627-32, 1635, 1638-40, 1666, 1670-73, 1675, 1677, 1679-85, 1688-91, 1693-1739, 1741-42, 1744, 1746-61, 1763-66, 1768-76, 1780-1842 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office
1624-1625 — included in BTs for Chester: St. Mary on the Hill
Copies and IndexesM 1671-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-1842 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE61)
Monumental InscriptionsTranscript by Chester City Council, 1964 — Cheshire Record Office ; The Natonal Archives (RG37/33)
NotesC 1842-1910 — see Chester: St. Bridget

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches