CHESTER: St. Michael (Church of England)

Bridge Street
Click for photo of church

Church History

An ancient parish church, serving part of the city of Chester.

On 11 July 1839 the district was amalgamated with that of Chester: St. Olave, to form the combined district of "St. Michael with St. Olave".

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1887 September 27 — extended when the following area was transferred from Chester: St. Mary without the Walls: "That portion of the parish of Saint Mary-on-the-Hill which is situate on the north side of the River Dee and on the east side of Bridge-street aforesaid".

In January 1973 the district became part of a unified district for the city of Chester. St. Michael's is now used as a heritage centre.

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1581-1970 ; M 1581-1972 ; B 1581-1848 — Cheshire Record Office
Microfilm CopiesC 1581-1970 ; M 1581-1941 ; B 1581-1848 — Cheshire Record Office
C 1581-1970 ; M 1581-1972 ; B 1581-1848 — Manchester Archives & Local Studies
C 1581-1951 ; M 1581-1972 ; B 1581-1848 — Family History Society of Cheshire
Bishop's Transcripts1600-01, 1604, 1611, 1613-14, 1622, 1624, 1627-35, 1637, 1639-42, 1661-63, 1666-77, 1679-85, 1690-91, 1693-1743, 1746-1816, 1828-39, 1868, 1876 EDB 57 [n.d.] (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire
Copies and IndexesM 1611-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-1958 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE62)
Monumental InscriptionsTranscript by Chester City Council, 1964 — Cheshire Record Office, The National Archives (RG37/34)

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches