CHESTER: St. Olave (Church of England)

Lower Bridge Street
Click for photo of church

Church History

An ancient parish church, serving part of the city of Chester.

On 11 July 1839 the district was amalgamated with that of Chester: St. Michael, to form the combined district of "St. Michael with St. Olave". In January 1973 this became part of a unified district for the city of Chester.

St. Olave’s continued to be used as a place of worship until June 1972. The building still stands, but is currently disused.

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1611-1861 ; M 1611-1861 ; B 1611-1849 — Cheshire Record Office (P 64)
Microfilm CopiesC 1611-1861 ; M 1611-1861 ; B 1611-1849 — Cheshire Record Office ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Family History Society of Cheshire
Bishop's Transcripts1599-1601, 1604, 1610, 1614, 1617, 1622, 1624-25, 1629-30, 1632, 1638-40, 1668-77, 1679-85, 1690-91, 1693-1846 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire
1627-28, 1631, 1633-35, 1637, 1641-42 — included in the BTs for Chester: St. Michael
Copies and IndexesCMB 1611-1673 — British Library (Harleian MS 2177) ; Society of Genealogists' Library
M 1610-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-1861 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE63)
NotesC 1861-1972 ; M 1861-1972 — see Chester: St. Michael

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches