HOOTON: St. Paul (Church of England)

Church Road
Click for photo of church

Church History

Founded in 1862 as the district church for the townships of Childer Thornton, Hooton and Little Sutton (previously served by Eastham: St. Mary). The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Saint Paul, Hooton" were described in the London Gazette on 10 June 1862::

"All those portions of the parish of Eastham, in the county of Chester, and in the diocese of Chester, wherein the present incumbent of such parish now possesses the exclusive cure of souls which a re comprised within and are co-extensive with the several townships of Little Sutton, of Childer Thornton, and of Hooton."

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1862-1946 ; M 1863-1968 — Cheshire Record Office (P 306)
C from 1946 ; M from 1968 ; B from 1926 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1862-1934 ; M 1863-1954 — Cheshire Record Office
Bishop's Transcripts1892-93, 1897-1901 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office
Copies and IndexesM 1863-1958 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE32)
Monumental InscriptionsPublished by the Family History Society of Cheshire (Wirral Group), 1985

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches